Maintain the Proper Humidity Levels in Your Home
We are now in the season of high humidity. Moisture control is an important part of our solution towards creating a healthy basement / crawl space. Removing the excess moisture in your basement will keep humidity down, reducing odors, and limiting the growth of mold. Up to 50% of the air you breathe upstairs comes up from below your first floor.
The health of the home is greatly affected by the basement and or crawl space.
Most people spend as much as 12 hours a day in their homes. Since the 1970s, homes have been built increasingly airtight to save on energy reducing the amount of air exchange. Airtight (Energy Efficient) homes have drawn more attention to all of the pollutants a basement or crawl space has to offer through what we call “stack effect”
Stack effect is the movement of air that is driven by differential pressure.(indoor to outdoor air density) The greater the thermal / pressure difference and the height of the structure, the greater the stack effect.
Increased Risk of Health Problems Studies have shown that people who occupy damp buildings are at an increased risk of health problems.
Indoor Air Pollution
Facts and statistics regarding your health and your home’s indoor air quality, according to the EPA and the WHO.
FACTS: Studies have shown that the air in our homes can be even more polluted than outdoor air. According to the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION, half of buildings in the United States are water damaged leading to the growth of mold and the potential for mold illness.
- You spend about 90% of your time indoors.
- The quality of indoor air can be two to five times more polluted than the worst outside air.
- Over the years, there has been an increase in the number of children with severe allergies and asthma.
- Indoor High Humidity promotes the mold growth
THE EPA HAS RANKED INDOOR AIR POLLUTION AMONG THE TOP FIVE ENVIRONMENTAL DANGERS.
What Are Biological Pollutants?
Biological pollutants are living organisms that can travel through the air and are often invisible. Conditions that support biological pollutants growth can be found in many locations, such as bathrooms, damp or flooded basements and or crawl spaces, wet appliances (such as; humidifiers or air conditioners), and even some carpets and furniture.
Biological pollutants are living organisms such as:
- Animal Dander
- Dust Mites
- Infectious agents (bacteria or viruses)
Determine if you are at risk
- Does anyone have frequent headaches, fevers, itchy watery eyes, a stuffy nose, dry throat, or a cough?
- Does anyone complain of feeling tired or dizzy all the time?
- Is anyone wheezing or having difficulties breathing on a regular basis?
- Did these symptoms appear after you moved to a new or different home?
- Do the symptoms disappear when you go to school or the office and return when you come back?
- Did your symptoms occur during or after remodeled your home?
- Does your home feel humid?
- Have you recently had water damage?
- Is your basement wet or damp?
- Is there any obvious mold or mildew?
- Does any part of your home have a musty or moldy odor?
- Do your house plants show signs of mold?
Improve Indoor Air
We have the exclusive WiseAire line of dehumidification and air filtration systems for both basements and crawl spaces. Both units are ultra-efficient with industry specific features, specifications, and benefits. The WiseAire line of dehumidifiers and air filtration systems can only be purchased through a Healthy Basement CrawlSpace Contractor.
The WiseAire55 is an ultra-efficient, powerful dehumidification and air filtration system which removes 55 pints of moisture per day from your basement or crawl space, the most compact dehumidifier in the WiseAire line. Although the 55 is small in size, with a 250 CFM of airflow, it’s powerful enough to maintain the humidity level in a space up to 10,000 cubic feet.
Rod Johnson, the Founder and President of Basement & Radon Solutions, has been in the construction industry for most of his life.
He began this company with a simple mission: To provide every customer with a wide variety of cost-effective solutions and a level of customer service that is unsurpassed in the industry.
Rod and his team of trained experts take pride in making sure that their customers are 100% satisfied with their service, and strive to provide a home-contractor experience that is difficult to find anywhere else.
Since 2001, Basement & Radon Solutions has been Western North Carolina’s most trusted basement waterproofing, crawl space encapsulation and foundation repair and radon mitigation experts. We hold ourselves to a higher standard and our customer service and work show just that. For 16+ years, Basement & Radon Solutions has been serving the residents of Upstate SC. We have continued to grow throughout the years by constantly studying the latest and best products available for basement waterproofing.